16th Street Construction

Sloop resident Sloop resident

16th Street Construction

Does anyone know why 16th street has been under construction for months?  Everytime I think it's almost over the tear up another part of the street.  The block between Indiana and Michigan was opened for a few days but now there is a section that is under construction again.  I think if I understood what was happening it would be less annoying.
nogs nogs

Re: 16th Street Construction

I think they are making their way west until they end up on Clark... it's a sewer replacement so that seems to be the case.

At least they are laying down fresh asphalt on the Indiana intersection.
dtg312 dtg312

Re: 16th Street Construction

Apparently this is a sewer and cabling project that has gone over the scheduled amount of time to work (11 months and counting). Here's an article outlining some of the background for this project and the businesses affected by it:

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140915/south-loop/eleven-months-of-south-loop-construction-causing-businesses-lose-big