$65 Million in projects for our hood

solman solman

$65 Million in projects for our hood

http://www.suntimes.com/15432798-761/mayor-highlights-65-million-in-projects-on-near-south-side.html

if you click the gallery you can see some renderings for the cermak green line stop.
sandra sandra

Re: $65 Million in projects for our hood

Thanks for posting this! I can't wait for Marianos or the new green line station :-)
brianbobcat brianbobcat

Re: $65 Million in projects for our hood

I'm never one to cry afoul for unions or whatnot, but what I want to know is what costs $1.8 million about streetscaping along Roosevelt when A. it had been done not too long ago but used poor quality concrete that is turning to gravel and steel grates that shattered just from people walking on them and B. has new construction already in front of The Columbian, Central Park, and next to Grant Park.  I'm in support, but that just seems like a lot of money to replace the sidewalk and replant trees that were cut down and replaced with concrete pads.

The other thing that worries me is the Harrison 'L' “comprehensive renewal” that costs only $10million.  Grand/State cost 67.2M but was more costly because of space constraints, and the freshly started Clark/Division rebuild is costing $50.  Is $40M+ really being saved because they'll have plenty of room (parking lots and soon-to-be-former Jones Prep property) to stage on?  Why are they not calling it a rebuild or expansion either?  "Renewal" sounds to me like new walls and paint, not new elevators, escalators, larger mezzanine, etc.  Fioretti has been quoted as saying "We want to bring the station into the 21st century.” but again, nowhere does it specify ADA accessibility.  IF this is NOT reconstruction, this is a big mistake because when will be the next time the CTA gets around to Harrison, 2030?