Access to Wells St from Roosevelt Rd/Collection

Jeff Jeff

Access to Wells St from Roosevelt Rd/Collection

Hi,

Is there any part of the Roosevelt Collection, Roosevelt Rd or the movie theater that connects to Wells St or Federal St and which is accessible to the public? I've seen doors on Wells St and the exit at the back of the theater, but I'm guessing any exits are for residents/parking only? If I'm on the Roosevelt bridge and I want to get down to Wells St, I'm guessing there is no way down except to go back to State St?
Dennis McClendon Dennis McClendon

Re: Access to Wells St from Roosevelt Rd/Collection

You can take the elevator or stairs down to whatever parking garage level and just walk out onto Wells.

There's also another elevator at the very north end, which comes down behind/beside the Grand Staircase, but it's currently switched off.

This is why the fight over the British School is so important.  We're not just being asked to give up the park, but also any way to get up or down from the Roosevelt Collection that doesn't seem like a steep narrow fire escape.
joe joe

Re: Access to Wells St from Roosevelt Rd/Collection

There's a giant stair on the north side of the building that works quite nicely.

The British School renderings look pretty great as far as adding the promised park, and upping the value of all our properties.  Not sure why one would want to fight this.  Between a school and a park or nothing it seems the choice is pretty easy.
Dennis McClendon Dennis McClendon

Re: Access to Wells St from Roosevelt Rd/Collection

The elevator just behind the Grand Staircase is working.

Joe, the "giant stair" would be demolished if the British School is built.  And the choice is not between the British School and "nothing."  Unless the ordinance is changed, the developer is obligated to build a two-acre park.
Joe Joe

Re: Access to Wells St from Roosevelt Rd/Collection

For crying out loud, look at the proposal. It includes a park (and stair) which won't get built without the school. Thats the economic reality. Please at least do a base amount of research before getting up in arms.
Dennis McClendon Dennis McClendon

Re: Access to Wells St from Roosevelt Rd/Collection

If the ordinance is not changed, the Grand Staircase remains and the developer must build a 2.2-acre park on that entire area.  That's the law.

If the developer is allowed to build the school there instead, the park becomes mere rooftop landscaping (can't support big trees), shrinks to half the size, and becomes much more difficult to access.
peter peter

Re: Access to Wells St from Roosevelt Rd/Collection

The deadline in the ordinance for building the park already passed in 2011, as I understand it.  What recourse does the city have? (an honest question)
Dennis McClendon Dennis McClendon

Re: Access to Wells St from Roosevelt Rd/Collection

The deadline for building the park, according to the PD, is five years after "substantial completion of the construction of West 9th Street, between South Wells Street and the Metra railroad tracks."  The developer's attorney interprets that to mean the park doesn't have to be built until 9th Street is complete all the way to the Metra retaining wall.  I'm hopeful that the Zoning Division would interpret "substantial completion" as when a majority of the street is built, which happened in 2008.  McCaffery needs various site plan approvals to proceed with the rest of their residential towers, so that gives DHED some leverage to get the park built before the 9th Street underpass is funded.
cmc cmc

Re: Access to Wells St from Roosevelt Rd/Collection

Dennis McClendon,

I'd love to meet with you regarding this topic.  I am of an opposing viewpoint but would be very interested to hear your views on why you are so against the British School building here.

If you are open to this, I am hoping you can meet with me in a neighborhood venue sometime this week for coffee/tea/whatever.
Dennis McClendon Dennis McClendon

Re: Access to Wells St from Roosevelt Rd/Collection

Happy to meet and talk.  I'm in the phone book.
Neighbor Neighbor

Re: Access to Wells St from Roosevelt Rd/Collection

There is a public entrance at the southwest end of the building. From Wells, you walk south past all the parking lot entrances and you'll see the entrance. From the RC there are two sets of double doors, one set for residents and one for parking. To in the parking one and take the elevator down to Wells.