Quantcast

Best breakfast in the sloop?

12
TS TS

Best breakfast in the sloop?

So here's an informal poll.... Which has the best overall value for breakfast:

1. Waffles
2.  Yolk
3.  Bongo room
4.  Eleven city diner
5.  Other

Respond with your choice and validation...for my money waffles wins.

JeffGoot JeffGoot

Re: Best breakfast in the sloop?

My breakfast places of choice in the neighborhood these days are Little Branch Cafe and Eleven City Diner.
MarkChicago MarkChicago

Re: Best breakfast in the sloop?

Yolk, no contest.

Yolk gives you a "side" of pancakes with most entrees that is more fulfilling than a $12 hipster waffle.
marinauser marinauser

Re: Best breakfast in the sloop?

Eppels on Roosevelt.
cmc cmc

Re: Best breakfast in the sloop?

Eppels - best value breakfast for sure!
Josh Josh

Re: Best breakfast in the sloop?

Yolk
ttomlin ttomlin

Re: Best breakfast in the sloop?

I vote for Cafe Society. Sitting out under the trees is a great way to spend a Sunday morning.
Jan Jan

Re: Best breakfast in the sloop?

Yolk no contest about it. Eggs benedict is the best!
SloopinAnn SloopinAnn

Re: Best breakfast in the sloop?

Best pancakes around is Bongo Room.

Eppels is wonderful. Yummy food, nice staff. A fave.

Yolk is decent, but the wait on weekends is ridiculous.
AJ AJ

Re: Best breakfast in the sloop?

Kristoffer's cafe on 17th and halsted. This is probably in Pilsen rather than sloop, but it's worth a try. Great tres leches cake too!
Chris Chris

Re: Best breakfast in the sloop?

Yolk no competition...Bongo Room is the worst breakfast place ive ever been to. It makes Waffles look like a great value.
brianbobcat brianbobcat

Re: Best breakfast in the sloop?

I really like Yolk.  Maybe it's just cause that was the first breakfast place in the Sloop I went to or that my GF used to live in that building, but that's my vote.  There's ALWAYS gonna be a line there, Waffles, and Bong Room on weekends, but my experiences are as follows:

Waffles: Food was good.  GF had waffles benedict and loved it and my red velvet waffles were fluffy and delicious.  Fairly small/limited menu.  DISLIKE: They had a fancy iPad checkin system, but when two seats opened up at the counter, they just asked out loud who wanted it, so the couple that had just walked in got seated immediately over us two who had been there 30 minutes already.  Will still go back though.

Bongo Room: Food is always something special, but value not so much.  DISLIKES: I ordered a "large" orange juice that was something like $6 and was the size of a small or medium at other places.  I went to a bar last weekend that had mimosas for $5, so that's even more embarrassing for Bongo.  The thing that really ground my gears was that I ordered special pretzel pancakes that came with a delicious sauce.  The pancakes were really think and dry, but were fine with the sauce that was only drizzled on the sauce.  I asked for more sauce and was charged for it.  I found the lack of enough sauce a flaw with the pancakes and wasn't happy about being nicked and dimed there.  We waited a while, spent way too much on non-alcoholic drinks while waiting, and then didn't get a good valued meal.  Good food but will NOT be going back.

Eleven City Diner is solid all around.  You can usually get a seat quicker than at Bongo or Yolk, have a large menu, and good prices.  I love breakfast food and have no qualms going to either Yolk or Eleven.

I've never been to Eppels, Cafe Society, Kristoffer's cafe, or Little Branch, but I'd like to give them a try now cause I love breakfast.
slo_oop slo_oop

Re: Best breakfast in the sloop?

Yolk is the winner! Great food. Good price. Good staff. Can feel a little commercial at time because it's so big.

Cafe Society. Has the worst food. Advertises "freshly squeezed orange juice" that they pour out of a bottle. Clearly was not freshly squeezed. French toast tastes like just bread with cinnamon sprinkled on top. Probably biggest food scam going in Chicago. People go there for the outdoor seating.  I won't lie... the tree and the fresh air is a rarity in the city... it's nice. Not sure if they even own that piece of land... should be paying their profits to City of Chicago cus that's all that place is good for.

Waffle. Food is decent. Nothing special. They concentrate so much on its presentation that they forgot the most important part about the food business. The food itself.  Overall experience is 2.5 out of 5.

Meli. (West Loop). It's not in the south loop but I think deserves a mention. One of the cutest and one of the best places for breakfast. The staff is not terribly friendly but food is good and atmosphere is very pleasing.

Bongo. Creative food offerings if you're into that sort of stuff. I was disappointed because it does not live up to its Wicker Park brother... but overall the food is solid. There's always line out the door.
MSU 22 MSU 22

Re: Best breakfast in the sloop?

Mark,

Your speaking my language.  Side pancake does it here.

Plus great variety at Yolk.  Here's my order.

1. Yolk - Everything is pretty good here.  Bacon Waffle with to fried eggs on top is amazing.
2. Bongo Room - Most expensive place but I've had an amazing breakfast burrito here.  It was a special that had chirzo in it.  Not the regular burrito on the menu.  It's only average.
3. Little Branch - Solid all around.  Great Scones and coffee too.
4. Waffles - Went once and was very solid.

Still need to try the others.
MSU 22 MSU 22

Still need to try the others.
solman solman

Re: Best breakfast in the sloop?

I have been to Yolk, and Waffles and enjoy both.  Me and my girlfriend decided to get some breakfast last Saturday, and instead of waiting 30 minutes for a table at yolk we walked over to LM Brasserie to try their breakfast.  I was quite impressed with the food.  I ordered the American breakfast but had a taste for some pancakes so they made me a side order even though it was not on menu.   My girlfriend ordered some savory crepes which she enjoyed.  my breakfast was very good, the pork sausage was very good so were the potatoes that come with each dish.  My oj tasted fresh squeezed and the coffee also good.   We spent about $40 not including tip for our meal.  I would def go back
slew28 slew28

Re: Best breakfast in the sloop?

$40 pre-tip breakfast for two people!? That shit cray.

I give LM until EOY to close up shop. I go by it at least twice a day and its always just as empty as Tribute. With no buzz and no walk-in traffic, winter is going to be awfully cold for business.
LocalLady LocalLady

Re: Best breakfast in the sloop?

Hello...what about WeatherMark?  I hate waiting 30 minutes for someone to call my name for breakfast.  I hate paying $12 for breakfast as well.  The skillets are always good, and three kinds of eggs benny!  The breakfast burrito could feed you for the whole day. What's not to love???  Oh, what about the bottomless Mimosas????
Chris Chris

Re: Best breakfast in the sloop?

We can add Artists Cafe to our breakfast options. Very good for on the go and 10 bucks and under.
Pete Pete

Re: Best breakfast in the sloop?

Anyplace but Cafe Society. Tried to like it but VERY disappointed each time; will never go back. We're hoping they close it as part of the just announced expansion of the park district fieldhouse it's located in. More space for park district programming is FAR better for the neighborhood than crappy food. Plus you should see the huge rodent population that occupies their plaza after the last customer leaves at night (at least someone enjoys the food).   The place might have served a purpose 5-6 years ago when there weren't many other choices but today why would anyone choose to eat what they call food. Plus, they violate health-code each time they set up an unlicensed/inspected outdoor kitchen for Bears games or parties.
12