Bureau Bar opening Monday

Sandra Sandra

Bureau Bar opening Monday

Walked by yesterday and spoke to what I think may have been the owner or manager, he told us they are opening on Monday. I am curious to check it out, hope it will be a success!
JeffWagg JeffWagg

Re: Bureau Bar opening Monday

Just walked by. Lights are kinda on, but no peeps and the tables aren't set up. Lights being on at all is a change.
tpoct tpoct

Re: Bureau Bar opening Monday

Is it actually open yet?  If so has anyone been there?
somnia somnia

Re: Bureau Bar opening Monday

Went there for a drink after dinner on Friday night.  It was very cozy inside.  Not much seating, but it has a very nice atmosphere - like having a drink at a friend's apartment.  The staff was extremely nice and attentive.  My red wine was delicious.  They are still finishing up some details (still some art to be hung - still figuring out the tv), but that didn't bother me at all.  I will definitely be back.
JeffWagg JeffWagg

Re: Bureau Bar opening Monday

Went, very cozy and friendly. We'll be back.  More Bourbon and Scotch than whiskey.
JeffWagg JeffWagg

Re: Bureau Bar opening Monday

Oops, meant more Bourbon and Scotch than craft beers. They did have a couple on draft, but don't expect to see a line of 100 pulls.
Mh79 Mh79

Re: Bureau Bar opening Monday

Took my fiancé here for some drinks before her birthday dinner. I rate my experience a 2. The one great thing about this place is the decor. It made me feel like I was walking into a well done man cave. Everything else was terrible.

The place was so quiet it was awkward to talk above a whisper.

The bartender had no clue what she was doing. She was so bad I would guess she has never had a drink in her life. I ordered a captain and coke and I received a drink that made me laugh out loud. First off the rocks glass was at most a four ounce glass. It was filled maybe with 3 ounces of liquid and ice. After my laughter I sample the drink and it was definitely shaken. It tasted like mcdonalds coke that was left in the car over night. My fiancées Manhattan took 5 attempts to get close to what the bartender thought was right. It wasn't. And the glass was chipped which they happily replaced. At this point I was still willing to give the place another shot because of convenience.

Then I got the bill. $8 for 3 ounces of shaken ice coke and $11 for a Manhattan. Not in the south loop and not at this place. I will give it a couple of months and try again. If they don't have better talent behind the bar, better glassware, and better prices I will never return. I truly hope they listen to all the people who complain.
southslooper southslooper

Re: Bureau Bar opening Monday

Not sure what's expected and why there was such expectation for this bar.  I popped in a few times.  First time was very quiet (I guess they just opened and no one knew they were open).  Last few times I was there was pleasant and what I wanted.  Neighborhood bar, nice atmosphere no frills great decor.  One night was a real pretty blonde with great bar experience who lived in the area.  its like chilling at a friends house.  those who complain about this place are either just being mean or sent by a competitor for sure.  Even the worst bartender doesn't "forget the booze" lol!
DrJen DrJen

Re: Bureau Bar opening Monday

Hmmm. Just tried to call them tonight and the phone number listed on Yelp (they don't seem to have their own website) was disconnected. Are they already defunct after such a short time? That'd be a bummer. Would like for them to have enough time to get their sea legs.
DrJen DrJen

Re: Bureau Bar opening Monday

Gack. I really can't find a number for them other than the disconnected one. Went there once. It was clearly in 'opening stages', but it wasn't horrible. Certainly they didn't advertise worth a darn. Oh...wait...maybe 'Bureau Bar' isn't 'cus it's supposed to look like an office, but because it's an FBI front investigating the prosperity church down the street. Nah...prob not. But that'd be way more fun than just another failed business. Gonna go drive by and see if they're defunct or not.
DrJen DrJen

Re: Bureau Bar opening Monday

Okey doke. Went over there just now. They are still open. They've changed their number but have very much failed at getting the new number out. They seriously still need a website, just for us locals. But, per the guy organizing stuff there just now, they're open 4-11 on weekdays and (I think) 11-1 on weekends. The idea of a word-of-mouth neighborhood place is great, but, in this internet world, you just might miss out on some decent clients if you only let your friends know you're there.
DrJen DrJen

Re: Bureau Bar opening Monday

This all said in the spirit of 'I want them to succeed'!
AnonDrunk AnonDrunk

Re: Bureau Bar opening Monday

I went there last week.  Was impressed...cozy, good, full wine pour and nice cocktails as well.  It's a nice, little neighborhood place and a good new addition to the area.

The first couple of times I tried to go the before the holidays it was booked-up with private functions so I was glad to finally be able to try it out.

I give it an 8 out of 10 based on my one-time sample.