Quantcast

Car Break-ins

Sloop Vigilante Sloop Vigilante

Car Break-ins

Anyone else have their car broken into last night? I park in a gated lot, suppose people are hopping fence tailgating cars into lot. Anyway, not first time its happened. They didn't get anything, because there is nothing of value in the car, but 4th time in 4 years car has either been broken into, or on last car catalytic converter stolen.
Anon Anon

Re: Car Break-ins

A little more information would be helpful? Such as where it happened?
slooper slooper

Re: Car Break-ins

also, did you file a police report? notify your building?

Hey Anon, it happened around the corner from the Dunkin Donuts at 16th and Michigan. Is that helpful to you?
Sloop Vigilante Sloop Vigilante

Re: Car Break-ins

Yes, building manager knows. I didn't file a report this time because CPD is more concerned about the PR of all the murders. Fingerprints last time were all over my car and police couldn't be bothered. Probably people who already have records, could have gotten them off the street.
K K

Re: Car Break-ins

I can only guess these types of crimes are going to worsen with the CPD saying they're now not going to focus on crimes where the suspect has left the scene.  This is bad news for most Chicago neighborhoods.  I know there have been several instances where someone in the South Loop has been found and picked up after a crime was committed, and with that no longer being the case, and the CPD advertising this is their new plan, what's to stop this type of crime from rising.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/02/04/chicago-police-changing-response-plan-for-some-911-calls/
SLOOPjudgeNjurry SLOOPjudgeNjurry

Re: Car Break-ins

I think the original poster is on to something with his screen name.  I think it's time for us to form a neighborhood group to patrol the area, to catch these punks in the act and to hand out tough punishments and very harsh beatings to teach them a lesson.  It wouldn't take but a few well publisized beat downs before these punks stop with this in our neighborhood.
joe joe

Re: Car Break-ins

You first, internet tough-guy.
Praire District Praire District

Re: Car Break-ins

I wouldn't let the police's lack of interest or worry about PR influence your actions. If my car got broken into 4 times I would be at every CAPS meetings, calling the Alderman's office and City Hall until a resolution was provided. Unfortunately, sometimes/often one/we have to fight continually to get services rendered.
Sloopjohnb Sloopjohnb

Re: Car Break-ins

I have lived in lots of cities and in the sloop now for the better part of a decade. I park my car on the street every day and have never gotten it broken into.

its super easy. Just dont keep anything in the car. ever. no garbage. no pocket change. no school books, no jacket. nada. In the city, if it can be taken it will be taken.

its the sad reality of living in any urban area. not trying to blame any victims because i know getting robbed is a huge violation and hassle but gotta be smart to stay safe.
Car break in victim Car break in victim

Re: Car Break-ins

Wondering if you've seen the latest post on here about the 20 break ins last night. There were also a bunch of break ins (>10) two days ago which was not covered in the media. I imagine many of these are like me- ZERO valuables in the car- nothing in site- no wires, no CDs, just an empty car. You say you "try not to blame any victims" but seems like you are doing so. Has your car been hit yet? Keep us posted.
South Loop Sally South Loop Sally

Re: Car Break-ins

SloopJohnB is everyone's hero. Lots of cars are getting broken into. A lot of people don't have valuables in site, etc, yet get broken into. A lot of the break-ins aren't being covered in the media either, but they are happening almost monthly now. Same with my car. Wasn't hit this weekend, but was last month. Nothing was in car, so nothing stolen, but annoying to say the least.
Anon Anon

Re: Car Break-ins

I've had my car windows smashed along Michigan (in between 14th and 16th) twice in the past two years.  Nothing was taken (and there was money in plain sight in the center console).  When I went to the auto shop to replace the windows he thought the person was trying to steal the car based on his findings.  There doesn't seem to be anywhere cars are safe, has anyone had issues with the overnight lots?  Are there people there all night?
Sloopjohnb Sloopjohnb

Re: Car Break-ins

re: anon I've seen just as many break ins in private overnight lots as i have on the street. Most have no security at night besides cameras that no one watches. Your best bet is to try to park in an indoor lot. Although its expensive and im sure there are break-ins inside too.

Sally, not trying to be anybody's hero. thanks though.  clearly you are just unlucky. maybe its karma. (THAT is me blaming the victim, victim)