College Loop

Jim Jim

College Loop

Another pizza joint and another 7elleven. Has anyone noticed that the South Loop has been downgraded to the College Loop?
cmc cmc

Re: College Loop

I am so with you on that one.  I really wonder what it is doing to property values.  When they first started moving in it was a nice mix but it is becoming really overwhelming now.
Frank Pizzo Frank Pizzo

Re: College Loop

Now now. Let's remember that it was and has been a "College Loop" first, before it was a resident loop.  There are more colleges and college students in the small area of the Loop than any other city in the country, look it up.  Let's embrace the colleges of the loop.  It can only help our area.
cmc cmc

Re: College Loop

Actually where I live it was a resident loop before a college loop.  I'm pretty sure I was here before the first dorm moved in (though I'm not 100% sure).

I think a nice mix is possible, but it's getting a little overwhelming.
prbotts prbotts

Re: College Loop

The other thing to keep in mind is that all those colleges opening up and expanding in the SLoop also leads, at some point, to another kind of new residents besides the students: faculty and staff. i.e. a fresh local source of middle-class households having disposable income.

There's naturally a lag time between when colleges/universities expand their student presence and when faculty/staff start settling themselves in that same immediate area. But it does happen, and I've already met a couple people fitting that description in just the year-plus that I've lived in the SLoop.