Community Garden space in the sloop? Anyone?

Sloopjohnb Sloopjohnb

Community Garden space in the sloop? Anyone?

Anybody know of a community garden in the south loop/printers row that is open to the public? i have been growing veggies indoors for a couple of years and i think its time to finally secure some outdoor space.  Any ideas? anybody else growing veggies in the sloop?

Also i know that there are a few buildings down here that have green roofs. Does anybody live in a building with community gardening? im curious to know how that works.

thanks
sloopy sloopy

Re: Community Garden space in the sloop? Anyone?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think there is a community garden space at the Women's Park & Garden at 18th and Indiana.  If I remember correctly I saw a vegetable garden with specific plots for residents.  I also think I saw some man tending to his plot.  I could be wrong though.  It's probably worth an email or call:

http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/parks/Chicago-Womens-Park-and-Gardens/

Hope this helps!
Sloop Mom Sloop Mom

Re: Community Garden space in the sloop? Anyone?

Chicago Women's Park & Gardens (Indiana & 18th) have a community garden. Due to the limited lots, there is a waiting list though. Thus it might take a year or maybe even more until you get a spot.
Sloopjohnb Sloopjohnb

Re: Community Garden space in the sloop? Anyone?

Thanks for the heads up. too bad there is a waiting list.

FYI It looks like the closest thing to what I am looking for is the taylor street farms

http://taylorstreetfarm.org/

Seems like a pretty good deal. its 100 bucks for a plot and for all the materiels (wood for garden box, rain barrel, ect)

Does anybody have any experience with this place?

Sloopjohnb Sloopjohnb

Re: Community Garden space in the sloop? Anyone?

Just kidding it looks like taylor street farms have a waiting list for this year as well. Soooo does anyone have some outdoor space or vacant lot space in the sloop that wants to start a community garden? or at least let me grow some pepper plants?  im kinda surprised that there isn't any space in grant park.

if i cant find anything i might just go rogue and do some guerrilla gardening.
mking1983 mking1983

Re: Community Garden space in the sloop? Anyone?

Anyone have any luck finding a community garden in the south loop area?
rememberthebreath rememberthebreath

Re: Community Garden space in the sloop? Anyone?

I contacted the Woman's Garden and they had a waiting list of over 150 people.  This group is involved in trying to get a community garden in the South Loop, but I don't see any info about an actual place.  I should really work with my condo association to see if we could use some of our front yard/back yard space for a garden, there is a lot of wasted space around that is just not used.  But that involves working with my condo association....