Curious- your view of the South Loop

Sandra Sandra

Curious- your view of the South Loop

So I was wondering for those of you living here in the South Loop. What is missing, what do you love, how long have you been here?

I have been here for a little over 2 years
I love being close to the lake, loop and public transportation. I also love that it's affordable to own

What I do miss is bit is a sense of community. It's very transient (college kids, high rise buildings) and for us that live on the southern edge of the loop there isn't a good cozy neighborhood hang out. I am excited about the potential developments on Motor Row (Brewery).
mikedezz mikedezz

Curious- your view of the South Loop

I’ve been in Printers Row since 1997.   It’s great to be walking (or short ride) distance from all the social, cultural, educational, culinary, and entertainment attractions most folks would ever want.   Biggest change for me has been the physical landscape - between Polk and Roosevelt, and Clark west to the River, there was nothing but open space and deserted lots when I moved in.

So I was wondering for those of you living here in the South Loop. What is missing, what do you love, how long have you been here?

I have been here for a little over 2 yearsI love being close to the lake, loop and public transportation. I also love that it's affordable to own

What I do miss is bit is a sense of community. It's very transient (college kids, high rise buildings) and for us that live on the southern edge of the loop there isn't a good cozy neighborhood hang out. I am excited about the potential developments on Motor Row (Brewery).

http://the-sloopin-message-board.1073605.n5.nabble.com/Curious-your-view-of-the-South-Loop-tp2120.html

To unsubscribe from The Sloopin Message Board, click here.
NAML

JeffWagg JeffWagg

Re: Curious- your view of the South Loop

The Sloop has all the benefits of the city and the suburbs combined. I can walk to CTA, Target, Home Depot, 5 grocery stores, and countless restaurants. I look out the window and see lots of trees, the lake, the river, and a great view of the skyline.

There really isn't much sense of community, but I attribute that to living in the city.

I've only been in Chicago for three years, but I think this neighborhood has an awful lot going for it.

sharonov sharonov

Re: Curious- your view of the South Loop

Funny, but I feel a strong sense of community, but maybe it's the age factor.  My husband and I are retired, and live in a building with a strong sense of community.  We have a building newsletter, 3 big parties a year, a book club.  My husband is a churchgoer, and I often run into people from his church at restaurants or shopping.  What's especially funny is that I lived in a house for 25 years, in an area that's supposed to be very community oriented, but never felt part of it because the area was predominantly Irish Catholic (I am neither) and very few mothers worked outside the home (I did.)

I tell my north side friends that they live in the shopping area and I live in the intellectual area!  I can walk to the symphony, Art Institute, all the museums (I volunteer at one--more community), the Washington Library and all the free performances at Columbia, DePaul and Roosevelt!  I'd never live anywhere else.
JoeB JoeB

Re: Curious- your view of the South Loop

not being flippant here, but what's missing is the increase in value of the condo we bought nine years ago.