Dearborn Village

Kev Kev

Dearborn Village

Hi there! Can anyone please shine some light on Dearborn Village, the gated community south of police station on 18th and State? I'm interested in purchasing a unit there, and there's remarkably few comments about the property online.

From what I can tell, on the plus side a Mariano's will be built nearby, but there's more wanderers near Red Line - Chinatown station which is a block away.

Any insights on the property/neighborhood/safety would be great. Thanks Sloopers!
Little Tommy Skillin Little Tommy Skillin

Re: Dearborn Village

Should be safe because it is next to the police station.  Reasonably close to red line train at China town.  Close to a few restaurants on State Street.

I did hear that they had substantial problems initially at Dearborn Village with poor construction and a lawsuit against the developer (Tom Snitzer).  I think the residents ended-up funding a very large special assesment to correct the poor construction issues.  I don't know how that ended-up or if they ever won their suit against the developer.

The elevated orange line train also runs over the top of the northern end of that property so I imagine it could get a bit loud.  That said, this is the city so if you want to live in an urban enviornment noise polution comes with the territory.

Good luck
Jim in the Sloop Jim in the Sloop

Re: Dearborn Village

We looked down there (along with a lot of other locations) before we bought our place in Printer's Row, and while my memory is now 5 years old, I'd say our decision was based less on what we didn't like about that area, and more about that we just found something else that better suited our needs.

I do remember thinking "wow this area is a ways south" but we liked the unit we saw and the pricing seemed OK.

In retrospect, I think that you need to realize that with this area what you see now is what you're going to get. The Hilliard Homes to the South aren't going anywhere, nor is the Police Station to the North. I suppose the State Street corridor could continue to develop, but you're reaching the Southern edge of development and it all pretty much tanked in 2008. The new CTA station may help bring people further South, and if plans to develop 22nd actually happen that would also help. Across Clark St., I don't see much happening - that space is narrow and several plans have come to nothing. So, I'd ask myself "do I like the neighborhood now" and take any improvements as a bonus later on, don't count on much. Clark St. itself is little more than a highway on that stretch, although this could improve if plans to extend Wells St. South to connect with the Chinatown feeder ever come to anything.

The CTA tracks on 18th are beyond ugly, although a lick of paint would certainly help. Don't be fooled by the Wentworth Bus - it runs very limited hours, although the Archer Bus is handy.