Do you ever hear those booms?

Dan Dan

Do you ever hear those booms?

Hi Sloopers,

   I've been wondering this for a while but have never been able to figure it out.  From time to time I'll hear loud booms from somewhere in the sloop (maybe from the train yard) but I'm not sure.  Does anyone know what they could be?
slew28 slew28

Re: Do you ever hear those booms?

These were going strong on Sunday evening! I thought it might be cannons associated with the Air & Water Show, but it was coming from the south west. No idea.
solman solman

Re: Do you ever hear those booms?

Saw one early on Sunday coming from Pilsen.  Looked like fireworks judging from the small cloud of smoke
Dan Dan

Re: Do you ever hear those booms?

I've been hearing them at random times for years, so I know it wasn't related to the air and water show and there was no Sox game going on at the time, so I know it wasn't from that either.
Dave Dave

Re: Do you ever hear those booms?

Do they happen on Wednesday and Saturday nights during the summer?  If so, its the fireworks at Navy Pier.
Dan Dan

Re: Do you ever hear those booms?

Nope, it happens at random times - daylight hours on random days.  It's definitely not fireworks.
blarger blarger

Re: Do you ever hear those booms?

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Pete Pete

Re: Do you ever hear those booms?

Pretty sure the only time I hear those booms is when it's coming from the cell on gamedays.
Treana29 Treana29

Re: Do you ever hear those booms?

Dan not sure where specifically you are hearing these booms since you didn't state that?  But there has been very loud and random booms occurring since a week or two before the 4th of July into the beginning of August by Roosevelt & Wabash.  If this is the vicinity you are talking about then I can tell you for a fact it was fireworks cause I live in that area and know the person who was shooting them off.
Dan Dan

Re: Do you ever hear those booms?

Thanks all for the comments.  I guess I'll just chalk it up to random fireworks and I guess we get a little more bang for the buck in the sound department with the noise bouncing off the buildings.
joe joe

Re: Do you ever hear those booms?

it's the navy pier fireworks on wednesday and saturday.
Dennis McClendon Dennis McClendon

Re: Do you ever hear those booms?

They're definitely NOT the fireworks from Navy Pier, or Soldier Field, or US Cellular Field.  These are loud booms, one every 15 to 20 minutes, that lasted from mid-morning until early evening on Sunday, August 19th.  They were just aerial shells that make a loud report but no visual display.

The old Italian parishioners usually do this for the Procession of Santa Maria Incoronata in September from 26th St. to St. Therese Catholic Church in Chinatown, but those don't last all day, just a few hours.   Apparently there was also a procession on Aug. 19th for the Feast of San Rocco di Simbario, so that's probably what it was.
Dan Dan

Re: Do you ever hear those booms?

Thanks Dennis!  That sounds a lot more likely!
JR JR

Re: Do you ever hear those booms?

Not to beat a dead horse but I too hear the booms only on the weekends and only during daylight. Not sure about Mon. - Fri. during business hours because I'm in the loop. I too rule out White Sox fireworks because their fireworks are 8 - 13 consecutive booms vs. the mysterious solo boom(s) that are staggered by 1 - 10 minute intervals. I love that someone else recognized this and started this thread. Would LOVE this pinpoint the source.
TJ TJ

Re: Do you ever hear those booms?

From what I can tell the boom's you are hearing are from M80 fireworks which are being shot off almost every weekend from the area of Clark and Cermak.  How do I know this.....I see them from my balcony on a regular basis.  For a while I thought it was the fireworks from the white sox game however it wasn't long before I started to witness it first hand.  They leave big clouds of smoke when then explode in the air.
13th and Michigan 13th and Michigan

Re: Do you ever hear those booms?

Another BOOM at 0115 last night.
Jack Jack

Re: Do you ever hear those booms?

At first I thought last night's 1:15 boom was just thunder, but the sky was clear.  Normally, I associate the booms with the trains down at 16th street.  When they stop and start up again it pulls the slack in the trains and causes a lot of noise.  Last night's noise was a lot louder than what I associate with the trains.
LP LP

Re: Do you ever hear those booms?

I heard the boom as well. There was also a flash which made me think it was a lightening strike, but I dismissed that when I saw the clear sky.