Green Space at 1500 S Indiana

jg jg

Green Space at 1500 S Indiana

Does anyone know what the story is behind the large green space on the NW corner of 16th and Indiana? This is a fairly large space that gets ZERO use. It's completely fenced off and I assume part of Lake Vista Apartments, but I've never seen anyone getting any use out of it.  Any information is appreciated.
sarah sarah

Re: Green Space at 1500 S Indiana

I've been told the space is owned by a Pritzker family's land trust. The trust restricts anyone from building on the land for 100 years. I'm not certain how many years are left. The Lake Vista Apartments can use the space, but they don't. They just handle the maintenance.
jg jg

Re: Green Space at 1500 S Indiana

This huge green space still sits fenced and unused? With so many children and dogs in the neighborhood it shouldn't be hard (or expensive) to put it to SOME use...
GoBlue04 GoBlue04

Re: Green Space at 1500 S Indiana

There's an open gate East on 16th to get in.  I see kids playing and people doing yoga in there all the time.
jg jg

Re: Green Space at 1500 S Indiana

You're referring to the park on the NE corner of Indiana at 16th, which is a great space and frequently used. The original post refers to the larger green space a little farther north on the west side of Indiana.
southloopparks southloopparks

Re: Green Space at 1500 S Indiana

Live right there.  If your talking 15th & Indiana on the west side (1510-1524 South Indiana), that's owned by St. Luke's Limited Dividend Housing Association, which is really another name for  Lake Vista Apartments. I'm told the property is also subject to Illinois Housing Authority.

No sure about Sarah's note below that Pritzker owns it, but who knows, anything is possible with them, if they own it through the St. Luke's Limited Dividend Housing Association. What better way to hold on to valuable downtown property and pay for it in the cheap than putting it into CHA use.

If you are talking about the North EAST corner of 16th & Indiana (not NW), that has been a hot publically contested issue. The lot is supposed to be a publically accessible park, but owned by the development at 16th & Prairie, called Prairie Pointe. My understanding is the building developer was assigned the lot for $0, but was required to build the park out. In exchange he got a taller building with more units, and did not have to pay required City Open Space fees. I'm told the condo association has to maintain it as a park or give it away to the Park District.

About 5 years ago, the alleged mob guy that owns 1550 S. Indiana commercial space across the street was trying to push through a deal with the Prairie Pointe condo board to build a parking lot in the park, even though it was not legally allowed. The uproar killed the deal, but I heard recently that the parties might be looking to sneak it past again. I wish I could find the link on it.