Holiday tipping for building/door staff

chiguy773 chiguy773

Holiday tipping for building/door staff

Hi,
I wanted to get other Slooper's advise on tipping of door & building staff.  I live in an approx. 300 unit building in the S Loop.  We have 24/7 door-staff, engineer, maintenance staff and a M-F on-site manager.

I'm going on my second year in the building.  Last year I chose to directly tip a few of the door / maintenance staff that I had interacted with throughout the year. I gave a little extra to one doorman in particular who is consistently helpful throughout the year. And really, I just tipped the other door staff out of obligation, not necessarily because I feel that they do a good job.

This year I'm thinking about just contributing directly to the condo Board's Holiday pool instead, but I feel its a little unfair since the tip is distributed evenly across the entire staff.  The other option would be to do both, but that would be more than I can afford to be honest.

What do other Sloopers who live in a door-staffed buildings do?

cmc cmc

Re: Holiday tipping for building/door staff

When our building started a holiday fund (after I was already tipping individually), I just gave a small amount to the holiday fund and gave out my envelopes as normal.  I don't know exactly how they distribute the holiday fund and I'd rather see my money go out the way I want.

GoBlue04 GoBlue04

Re: Holiday tipping for building/door staff

Just don't forget about the doorman working the night shift that you probably don't see  but deals with all the drunks coming and going.
I used to tip directly then realized the night doorman wasn't getting much money and just think about what they put up with.