Homicide as the result of a fight outside the Scout

anon anon

Homicide as the result of a fight outside the Scout

Really sad, Joe was a great guy and would bend over backwards for people. I lived in the same building as him. He was an iron worker and took care of his dad. Life is way too short, I bet the guys who beat him up didn't think twice and went home that night, now they could be charged with homicide.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-authorities-death-of-south-loop-man-suspicious-20120925,0,3479678.story
MarkChicago MarkChicago

Re: Homicide as the result of a fight outside the Scout

Very sad, indeed.  Hopefully they can locate the person(s) who did this.  Although I enjoy the Scout, I once made the mistake of going on a Bears game day and it won't happen again.  The place was filled with ticking time bombs in Bears jerseys.
TS TS

Re: Homicide as the result of a fight outside the Scout

This is tragic and I hope for the scouts sake that they weren't over serving the parties involved.  If so they not only violated the laws that govern alcohol service, but could also be potentially liable in the death.  Sending out over-served customers who beat people up is no different than sending out over-served customers who run people over with their cars.  Not that the individuals involved aren't primarily responsible for their actions, but the Scout needs to re-examine their policies around over-serving customers and/or allowing patrons in the bar if they are already drunk.

I too have had bad experiences there with poor service, rude management, and drunk patrons.  Haven't been there in 6 months and don't plan on going back after this new story.  Read yelp reviews and you see a disturbing number of reviews that also reference discrimination.

I have friends who live on Indiana and 13th and they routinely complain about the noise from scout and the patrons who spill out at closing time like wrigleyville.

MarkChicago MarkChicago

Re: Homicide as the result of a fight outside the Scout

TS, just to clarify, I have no issue with the Scout at all.  Their food is great, many tv's, good atmosphere, pleasant staff, not to mention supporting a free running club.  The problem is the patrons who come in from other areas and get bombed.  The Scout probably has trouble drawing a line between fun/profitable & dangerous.
MarkChicago MarkChicago

Re: Homicide as the result of a fight outside the Scout

Additional details released:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-police-details-emerge-in-fatal-south-loop-beating-20120927,0,3886413.story?track=rss

I saw detectives in there today probably doing interviews and looking at tape.  I think someone mentioned Bridgeport goons a while back as being a problem?
slew28 slew28

Re: Homicide as the result of a fight outside the Scout

Between security tapes, credit card receipts, and a packed bar of witnesses, it won't be long. Really too bad a "sour" conversation had to lead to a fight, death, and likely manslaughter charges.
Anon Anon

Re: Homicide as the result of a fight outside the Scout

Just back from the wake...what a celebration of life...probably 100 iron workers and people from all walks of life...you'll be missed Joe!! Hope they get the guys
Anon Anon

Re: Homicide as the result of a fight outside the Scout

Heard they found one of the guys....he overdosed and is dead. Guess the burden of guilt got to him
MarkChicago MarkChicago

Re: Homicide as the result of a fight outside the Scout

are there any official updates or news stories?  i haven't seen anything recently.
Anon Anon

Re: Homicide as the result of a fight outside the Scout

Apparently one guy killed himself a day or so later with drugs, it was an OD. the other guy as far as I've heard is still on the loose.