Living in Motor Row district?

Sweetk Sweetk

Living in Motor Row district?

I am a single female and I am looking at a loft in the Motor Row district. From what I have read, there has been talk about the area possibly being built up and becoming more and more gentrified. Specifically, the area I am looking at is on Michigan between Cermak and 23rd. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the loft and the price is right. Any thoughts/opinions on whether I should live there or if it is not a good idea? Thank you!
solman solman

Re: Living in Motor Row district?

I've lived in motor row since 2009.  Bought a loft for a great price too.   Around here anons were always negative about the neighborhood.   They said it would take ten years for it to be developed.  Now with all the attention Motor Row has been getting they are eating crow.  Green line stop under construction, brewery under construction streetscaping project on michigan avenue in the works.  Brand new 1200 room hotel that will be built on the corner of michigan and Cermak.   Lot of stuff in the works mostly due to its proximity to McCormick place which is also doing extremely well.

The only gripes I have is the occasional street parking issue with events at the Marmon Grand and Mccormck place! but I assume your loft will come with parking.   Food options could be better which I imagine will change in years to come.  I also assume either you are looking at either the motor row lofts building or the lofts on motor row both great buildings with good neighbors.
Sandra Sandra

Re: Living in Motor Row district?

Difficult to answer as everything comes down to your personality and lifestyle. I live on the south end of the loop so I will give you my perspective, it's transient, you don't YET have many places to walk to (except Chinatown which is great for food but not so much for a neighborhood vibe).

You are close to the lake and the loop, shopping groceries, Target etc. is very accessible. Public transportation is great with busses and the new green line station coming up.

Generally I feel safe, there have been some incidents but honestly I don't think anything that can't happen in any other neighborhood if you are not careful and attentive to your surroundings.

If Motor Row take off the way the planners hope you will have hit the jackpot with your purchase. I personally think it will remain transient and convention focused with hopefully 1 or 2 gems in the mix (microbrewery) that will add true character.

Good luck!
Sweetk Sweetk

Re: Living in Motor Row district?

Thank you both for the insight! I will be moving into the building on 2251 s. Michigan- very cool building with mixed residential and commercial uses. Unfortunately, however, my loft will not come with a parking spot so that is something I am a bit concerned with. Are there break-ins of cars often? And hopefully my neighbors will be as friendly as you both!
solman solman

Re: Living in Motor Row district?

I did have my window busted once a few years back.  Whoever hit my car hit several that day.  All they took was change in my coin tray, most likely a junkie who needed a fix.  I have had a window busted in lincoln park once so I dont think you have any cause for concern.  I got rid of my car a year ago, but my girlfriend parks and has never had any issues with safety or with car damage.
KalEl KalEl

Re: Living in Motor Row district?

I lived at 2000 S. Michigan for many years. I just moved to 16th and State recently. Here are my thoughts

1. Parking - If you don't have a spot it will be a big pain during Solider Field events. Without a pass, you will get ticketed. You have to pay for parking everywhere. I'm not sure how it is by you though.

2. I typically did not go past Cermack. Not sure how safe it is. The good thing is, there  are bus stops going all the way down Michigan. So you can get to other great south loop areas fairly quickly.

3. My GF parked on Cullerton all the time and never had an issue with break-ins, but our building had a problem in our garage. So who knows?

4. If it's a great place, at a great price, I wouldn't worry.
Steven Steven

Re: Living in Motor Row district?

This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
solman solman

Re: Living in Motor Row district?

You should be careful anywhere actually.

http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/community/near-south-side
Not Much You Not Much You

Re: Living in Motor Row district?

Hi SweetK

I have grown up in Chicago for the past 25 years + and one thing I will agree with is that it can be dangerous and sketchy in any area. With that being said I have lived both on the north side and now in the south loop at Michigan and Cermak (Lex Loft side) and have a view of the motor row district out my window. It is a very calm and quiet area with bus stops right in front of your door that take you up Michigan ave and even to union station....its definately a fast growing area with the green line and the depaul stadium in the future...the lex was just bought this week by a luxury apt place as well so look for even more improvements in this area. As for parking I would see if there is a garage that you can rent monthly because street parking is quite the pain. Good luck!!!