Looking for new church

Ian Mays Ian Mays

Looking for new church

Does anyone have a recommendation for a church here in the South Loop? My wife and I are looking for a church that is convenient for us here in the South Loop.

Thanks in advance.

-Ian
RPChicago RPChicago

Re: Looking for new church

Old Saint Mary's at ~ 1500 S Michigan if you are looking for a Catholic Church.
Sarah Sarah

Re: Looking for new church

I've been attending Urban Village Church for a couple months. It's very close to the S. loop at Michigan/Harrison.  The congregation is younger and they have been very warm and welcoming!
Christian Christian

Re: Looking for new church

I'm biased seeing as I'm one of the pastors, but let me also put in a plug for Urban Village. We worship at the Spertus Institute (610 S. Michigan) at 10:15 a.m. More info here: www.urbanvillagechurch.org. We'd love to have you drop by!
Jim in the Sloop Jim in the Sloop

Re: Looking for new church

To answer your question you really need to tell us what you're looking for. Are you tied to a particular denomination? Since you're OP didn't mention it, I'm guessing not.

Are you looking for a traditional liturgy-based church?
Based in sacramental worship with weekly Eucharist, etc?
Looking for a church with large programs for an entire family?
Are you looking for a place to drop in on Sunday when you feel like it, or for an opportunity to become deeply involved in a community?
Contemporary worship? Even that runs a gamut from "rooted in tradition" to "happy clappy touchy feely everything goes."
What style of music appeals to you?
Do you want a huge worship experience with hundreds of people or something small and contemplative?
Do you want to hear "we're all sinners and going to hell except by the grace of God" or "everyone is wonderful in their own way and there's room in the tent for everyone."
Ian Mays Ian Mays

Re: Looking for new church

My wife and I will be attending Urban Village Church this Sunday. In addition to posting on here, I've asked multiple people at work and even a few surprised individuals on the El, and Urban Village was mentioned a few times.

My wife and I consider ourselves to be open-minded, and we are looking for a Christian Church that shares the same values. We are looking for a place that we feel accepted, yet at the same time, we want to be challenged.

We are very intrigued by what Urban Village has to offer, we will be attending the 10:15 AM worship. I will be sure to give a review after service.

Best,
Ian