Loud boom @ ~11:22pm, 12/14

Geoff Geoff

Loud boom @ ~11:22pm, 12/14

Anyone know what that loud explosion/boom was?  We live at 15th & State, and it was very loud where we are.  Six minutes later was the first siren.  Not sure if it was related or not.
Langenbahn Langenbahn

Re: Loud boom @ ~11:22pm, 12/14

I posted the same question. We live at the corner of 16th and Michigan. Our place was hot the time so we had the misfortune of having our slider open when it happened. I had to peel myself off the ceiling. I definately got the impression that it came from the vicinity of Cermak and Wabash.
BN BN

Re: Loud boom @ ~11:22pm, 12/14

I live at 16th and State, and the noise scared the hell out of me as well. I went out on to the terrace, and saw a few people running from the vacinity of 16th and Wabash. About 5 minutes later, there were several police SUVs parked right next to the Firestone, and several K-9 officers were heading into the alley under the el tracks with flashlights heading south with their dogs. There was no smoke or fire to be seen, and this morning, I walked past the area and didn't see any broken glass, fire damage, or anything suspicious. I'm curious like everyone else, what the hell happened? If it had anything to do with the gas or electric, we would have been notified immediately, and I agree, it literally shook the whole house.
Geoff Geoff

Re: Loud boom @ ~11:22pm, 12/14

I forgot to add:

There was a large cloud of smoke that dissipated rather quickly.  I immediately looked out the window and saw it.  If cops were checking out the L at 16th St., that makes sense.  It felt close.  If a transformer blew on the L tracks, that would explain it.
MarkChicago MarkChicago

Re: Loud boom @ ~11:22pm, 12/14

Another bang/explosion at 10:25am this morning.  There's lots of utility activity on State, but they didn't seem concerned.  The mystery continues...
blarger blarger

Re: Loud boom @ ~11:22pm, 12/14

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
BigJohn BigJohn

Re: Loud boom @ ~11:22pm, 12/14

I still thinks it's a bunch of little bastards with big firecrackers.  Too many little punks around here...