Marianos

VinceG VinceG

Marianos

Marianos is overrated... and it still EXCEEDED my expectations in the first two days. I officially served Jewel my divorce papers.

Food for thought

1) Will Jewel survive?
2) How much better would it be if that storage facility next to Mariano's was torn down?
3) Impact on Overflow Coffee bar
4) Real Estate impact?
Night_Train_to_Mundo_Fine Night_Train_to_Mundo_Fine

Re: Marianos

Shopping at the Jewel on Wabash and Roosevelt is always a sure-fire way to ruin a good mood.

Will never go there again.
KalEl KalEl

Re: Marianos

Agreed, there is nothing I hate more than going to that Jewel. Who knows if it will even be there once Jewel takes over the Dominicks location.
sharonov sharonov

Re: Marianos

Jewel is no longer torture in my opinion.  Management finally trained the staff to treat customers decently, whereas before they viewed us as an irritation.  This change was prompted not by customer complaints but by watching everyone pour into Trader Joes, where everyone is treated well.  I actually prefer the produce at Jewel, because they don't have facilities to store it and therefore receive deliveries every day.  I like having the Osco in the same building so that I can pick up any needed medicines while shopping.  I don't care if someone is eating their wings outside, but am beginning to be annoyed by the beggars that wait outside TJ's.

Re the racist remarks--very poor people, especially those with mental problems, behave differently from the middle and upper middle class.  In Chicago those people are predominantly minority.  If you go to central Illinois or Wisconsin you can find the same behavior with white people.

Anyhow, have a little compassion.  Meanwhile, I selfishly hope Jewel survives because it's walking distance from me and I want to buy my cleaning products and paper products and food all at one time!
nogs nogs

Re: Marianos

1) with jewel buying the dominicks on canal we can only hope that they close the roosevelt store (which would be welcomed i.m.o.) I have never enjoyed a minute spent in that store

2) double yes

3) doubtful if any

4) none, south loop has had sufficient grocery stores for a few years now - unless the neighborhood is a food desert and a chain moves in, prices will typically remain unaffected

Mr. Downtown Mr. Downtown

Re: Marianos

This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Sandra Sandra

Re: Marianos

I wonder if Jewel will keep 2 stores... giving up the proximity to the EL in their current location might be risky. Maintaining 2 stores so close to each other doesn't make sense either. I will be curious.

My fave store to go to now is Mariano's though it can get expensive. Trader Joe's is just to busy and parking is such a mess otherwise I would go there more often
nogs nogs

Re: Marianos

long lines, rude workers, and it's far more cramped than all other stores as well. Above all, higher prices for lower quality produce.  I get it, everyone is loyal to certain stores, but I think that Jewel is sub par.
sharonov sharonov

Re: Marianos

My loyalty to the Roosevelt Jewel is based on a simple fact:  it's walking distance from my condo.  It's built on a smaller piece of land and therefore has more cramped aisles than the Roosevelt Dominicks (soon to be Jewel) which was built when south loop land was much cheaper, and therefore has wide aisles and a huge parking lot.  I still say that they're treating customers much better now that the competition has forced them too.  Actually one of my favorite places is on 22nd Street, just west of Western, Pete's Fresh Market.  Huge store, high quality, low price produce, great meat section.  It just takes too long to get there so I only go once in awhile.
sloopresident sloopresident

Re: Marianos

I would go here for grocery shopping if I had a car!!!
Jewel on Roosevelt sucks! I would love it if it runs out of business and WholeFoods take over this place.

The only advantage Jewel has is it's close proximity to nearby apartment/condos.  If all residents had a car, that store would go out of business in 2 weeks.

urbanpln urbanpln

Re: Marianos

I have gotten over my Marianos infatuation after shopping there many times since its October opening. It is more convenient for me to shop there because it's a stones throw from my condo but, I've come to realize they will not meet many of my needs. One of the problems I have with the new store is sometimes the quality of produce is poor. I do know this could be the results of being so busy but there's not excuse for poor quality fruits and veggies. There are also a variety of products that I used that are sold at that store. I am not saying that I will stop shopping at Marianos or that it is a poor quality store, I just realize that it can't meet all of my grocery needs. I find myself going back to Jewel often, especially after they re-arranged their Roosevelt Road store.
Ksl Ksl

Re: Marianos

The produce is brought in every single day. If you found bad produce you should have spoken up, it's bought local.  That I applaud!