Robbers Targeting Strollers

prairie chick prairie chick

Robbers Targeting Strollers

Has anyone else heard any info on the robberies yesterday on 18th and on Michigan? My building sent out a notice about robbers targeting moms with strollers and joggers. Scary to think people are out there targeting moms and babies in the broad daylight. Now I feel really vulnerable when taking my kid to my car. If anyone has more details, much appreciated. Thanks
Dan Dan

Re: Robbers Targeting Strollers

Just received this...

Re: Robbers Targeting Strollers

I will remain on the lookout for "two males" and a "waiting vehicle".

The notice should say "use common sense until we have any useful information".  Scared Mom, I would suggest obviously not going out at weird times alone, don't carry any loose bags/bullseyes, and definitely don't show that you have any electronics.
SL resident SL resident

Re: Robbers Targeting Strollers

It would be really helpful if the postings about the robberies gave the time of the incident. Was it during the morning or evening when a lot of people are out walking to/from work/school, etc and there are more people around to witness these events or the quieter times during the day or after dark? Not that I'd let my guard down during other times but it would be helpful to know. I live in the vicinity and walk in that area often as a rule I don't use my phone outside, don't wear headphones and keep my wallet out of my purse (something that I learned after being pickpocketed at Whole Foods).

The stretch along Indiana (and Prairie) was also targeted a year or so ago with similar attacks/robberies. There are fewer businesses and more residences along this road than Michigan or Wabash or State. Neighbors in this area, please help out and keep your eyes open for suspicious activity and I'd hope the police increase their patrol presence along this strip. To reiterate 12:15, "use common sense" and also report anything suspicous.
scared new mom scared new mom

Re: Robbers Targeting Strollers

I do practice safe walking- with or without the baby. Never use my phone in public anymore, carry mace around. The notice sent by our building was so vague- I wanted to post here to see if anyone knew more (i.e. were they held up at gunpoint? knifepoint? etc.) The PDNA memo is much more helpful. It's horrible if anyone gets robbed, but somewhat more reassuring if it was less violent. I almost hesitated to post at all, because I love our neighborhood and don't want to bring up negativity- but this actually makes me feel better about walking around again. Stuff happens in any big city.
South Loopr South Loopr

Re: Robbers Targeting Strollers - PLEASE READ

Although the sloop is a large area, most of us know that this is a neighborhood and watch out for each other, but we really need to not be afraid to pick the phone and call 311.

The mindset has to be: Even though they have chosen not to target you, we all have to think about the next person behind us.  Next time that person could be me, you, your wife. Let's really start be diligent with our calls. I know what it is like to be stereotyped, but this is not even close to being the same thing. We all know the feel of the neighborhood and should be able to make a good judgement call when they sense something could not be right.

Pick up the phone or once you get home  or email 311 or PDNA.  I know 311 operators always come across as not helpful or sound like they don't care, but who cares. We are talking about everyone's safety and if all of us are on the same page, this will continue to be a super safe area.  Let the police sort it out and best of all it keeps 'creeps' out of our neighborhood when they see a police car come by.
MarkChicago MarkChicago

Re: Robbers Targeting Strollers

@ Scared Mom

I understand completely.  My note was more directed at the ambiguous alerts that provide no useful information, i.e. description of suspects, model of car, time of day, etc.  I keep a lookout for "CPS Honor Students" as SOP.
Little Tommy Skilling Little Tommy Skilling

Re: Robbers Targeting Strollers

..someone before who mentioned that something similar happened in the Prairie area a couple of summers ago was right.  The police caught those crooks so hopefully they catch these ones soon too.

Until then I got an idea Mark...  I know this guy who's got a fast car.  I'm also good at standing around.  I was thinking me and you could go around looking for those 2 guys and the guy in the car.  It would be me and you and my friend with the fast car going around looking for 2 guys and a guy in a car.

We (you, me and my friend in the car) could even post signs saying if people see 2 guys and a guy in a car to let us know about it so we can go catch those 2 guys and the guy in the car.

Genius, right?

Frank Pizzo Frank Pizzo

Re: Robbers Targeting Strollers

Yes, my girlfriend and I have both gotten our cars' windows bashed in on two seperate occasions. the stretch south of 18th on the east side of indiana (by the women's park or whatever it is).  This is a very common occurance on that stretch.  Just walk down the sidwalk and look next to the curb.  All you see if broken glass everywhere.  It would all go away if they rid of the two big public housing buildings only a block from there.  But of course Chicago wants the public aid poor to mix with the affluent, their way of 'diversifying the city'.