Quantcast

Screeching sound at night

ashore ashore

Screeching sound at night

I live at 14th and Michigan and face east.  Every night for about the last month I have heard a high pitched, continuous screeching sound outside in the distance. It's always the same high note, with an occasional break of about 5 seconds from time to time.  I'm not sure if it occurs during the day.  Has anyone else noticed this or know where it's coming from???
tdoned tdoned

Re: Screeching sound at night

Perhaps we need a separate blog for "Sounds of the South Loop." It seems that someone is always describing loud booms, explosions and etc. Im not saying they dont exist but I have never heard anything out of the normal city sounds.
slooper slooper

Re: Screeching sound at night

approx what time do you usually hear the sound?  or is it all night?  could it be a bird or other animal?
Ap Ap

Re: Screeching sound at night

It is probably a freight or Amtrak train going around track bend, at 16th and Prairie/Calumet. I often walk dogs and hear similar screeching etc a slow click clack as the train lumbers over the turn or a rail switch. Maybe south loopers could get the rail co's to ante up and come out to do some maintenance .
ashore ashore

Re: Screeching sound at night

Now that I'm paying more attention to it, I've realized that the noise is constant, day and night.  Almost sounds like the sound you get when your window is open just a crack and the wind is whistling through it. However, the noise doesn't change on windy or calm days.  I hope someone else has noticed it - I would like to figure out the source and see if it can be stopped.  I've living here 4 years and this is something new.
RA RA

Re: Screeching sound at night

I live at 14th & Michigan facing north l and hear the same sound. I never hear it on calm days, only windy days. I've lived here for 8 years, never heard the sound until they built the high-rises on Roosevelt. The sound was worst before construction was completed and the buildings didn't have windows installed, the wind flew off the lake and whistled through the open windows. Now that construction is complete the wind cuts in between the building and creates the whistling sound. Annoying but not a huge deal.
SA SA

Re: Screeching sound at night

OMG guys, it's the freight trains.  Welcome to the SLoop.
RA RA

Re: Screeching sound at night

It's not the freight trains, you can hear those closer to 15th & Michigan. By 14th & Mich you can hear the wind howling, whistling, screeching through the high rises on Roosevelt.