South Loop vs West Loop

Naya Naya

South Loop vs West Loop

Hi all,

A bit about myself..I'm a 25 y.o. single female. I'm looking to buy in the city and torn between South Loop and West Loop. I love the fact that South Loop is so close to the lake, Grant Park, museums, etc. Being an avid runner and considering the lake trail, I am feeling a pulling towards Sloop. However, it seems whenever I mention to people that I am considering the S. Loop I always get the response, "there is just not much going on there". I am wondering if any of you have any opinions on Sloop vs W.Loop. How do you feel about the prospective development in each of these areas? Would you recommend someone my age moving to Sloop?
Thanks!
:)

Frank Frank

Re: South Loop vs West Loop

I bought into the south loop in 2009 right after the market crashed.  I was a little bit older than you when I made my purchase, and I share the same love for running along the lake.  The west loop is a great neighborhood.  You literally would not need a car if you lived there with all the Restaurant, Bar, Grocery options within walking distance.  It is true there isn't alot of stuff around here at the moment, but trust me things are getting better.   You would definately get more for your money in the south loop.  West loop prices reflect what is going on in their hood.  I have a few friends that bought a condo on Madison and Morgan before the marked crashed.  They paid almost 400K for a two bedroom with about 1000 square feet.  I paid half of that for my place and its bigger.  I think now is the right time to move to South loop.  We have a Mariano's Grocery store (just like West loop has on Halsted) moving in on Clark And 17th that will be completed next year.   We have a green Line stop coming into Motor row That will begin construction Next Year ( designed by same firm that designed the New Morgan West loop stop).  We have a new Park, Fred Anderson Park in the works that will be similar to west loop park on Adams and Sagamon (where I currently take my dog).  Easy access to the lake via 18th street bridge or grant park. soldier field, museum campus.  If you plan on staying for a while I recommend the south loop.  If you plan on moving to the suburbs before you are 30 I recommend west loop.
Chris Chris

Re: South Loop vs West Loop

South loop. Better location, more for your money and it is improving as far as things to do. Easy access to all pubic transportation, major highways and LSD. The obvious attractions such as the lake, museums, soldier field, grant park etc. All grocery needs Trader Joes, Whole foods, Jewel, Dominick's. The dining/bar options are expanding as well. City Tavern, Flo and Santos, Zapatista, Scout, Giocco, Square One are good places just to name a few. Roosevelt collection will be filling its space soon with more dining and retail options. Bottom line it is a better investment to buy in the South Loop as it is really starting to develop and with the development of motor row(the area south of us near mccormick place) it will certainly be good for our property values in a few years. If you plan on staying for a few years.
Josh Josh

Re: South Loop vs West Loop

We bought in 2008. I'm a few years older but haven't regretted it for a minute. Literally the only downside is that it's farther to work as I work in the west loop.
Naya Naya

Re: South Loop vs West Loop

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your response. I had no idea all those things were in the works. That's very exciting to hear. And yes, I plan on staying for a while.
Naya Naya

Re: South Loop vs West Loop

Def plan on staying for a few years
MarkChicago MarkChicago

Re: South Loop vs West Loop

Naya, sounds similar to my situation...also looked at the West Loop.  I've been here since 2008 and love it due to the brand new secure buildings with amenities, access to Grant Park & lakefront, and neighborhood feel.  Just walk down Indiana from Roosevelt to 18th, it's great.  The W. Loop is also nice, but more low rise loft-style living and a lot further from the lake.  One big factor against the W.Loop for me was having access to a nearby train station and much of the West Loop is leapfrogged by the L train system.  Good luck.
Frank solano Frank solano

Re: South Loop vs West Loop

no problem glad to help.  If you need more convincing check this event out.  This will tell you all that is in the works for the south loop

http://pdnachicago.com/page10.php
sandra sandra

Re: South Loop vs West Loop

Hi, I moved here a little over a year ago (from Lincoln Square on the north side) I love the convenience of having the lake, transportation, groceries (with new ones being added). I do miss the opportunity to just walk to a close bar or small restaurant though and I think the West Loop would offer more of that. However you do get a good deal for your money when buying in the SLoop. Good luck with your house hunt, very exciting times!
Naya Naya

Re: South Loop vs West Loop

Thnx again everyone. Now I'm really leaning towards S Loop !
S&P S&P

Re: South Loop vs West Loop

South Loop for sure and i know of a great place for sale!!!  801 South Wells #310!!!  You should check it out!!  Good Luck