Summer activities for kids

Alice Alice

Summer activities for kids

Hi all,

I have recently moved to South Loop with my kids, 12, 9 and 5 yrs old. Any recommendations regarding summer camps/activities for them? Sports or arts or something like that. I would not want to drive too far. Thank you in advance.
cmc cmc

Re: Summer activities for kids

Do you want to do things with your kids or do you need them to attend camps during the weekdays?

Are you new to South Loop or Chicago in general (i.e., are you familiar with activities in other areas of Chicago and are just looking for something very local)?

Just trying to get a better idea of what you're looking for...
Alice Alice

Re: Summer activities for kids

I would like to send them to different activities by themselves, during weekdays, to meet other kids and make friends. We are new in Chicago. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
cmc cmc

Re: Summer activities for kids

I don't do send away camps so unfortunately I can't recommend any.  I do know that Lab school has some camps but don't know the details or pricing - you can check their web site if you are interested.

Chicago Parent magazine also has a lot of ads in the spring I think for summer camps throughout the city.

You can also look at the park district although I think their programs fill up super fast.

Sorry I can't be more helpful!
Dona Dona

Re: Summer activities for kids

Depending on where you live, the Chicago park district, south loop elementary school, and the UiC area might be your best bets. The park district calendar will be listed on line march 18th, I think, and you can look at Chicago women and children's park, northerly island or Dunbar park for options. Ping Tom will be ready next year some time, I think. Call south loop elementary to ask about their summer camp, and Hyde park JCC as well as some sports camps happen at UIC pretty much all summer. Daly BiCentennial in grant park is under construction, and there are sailing camps at burnham harbor, as well as the other harbors. Good luck!