Surveying @ Harrison & Wells Street

Anonymous Anonymous

Surveying @ Harrison & Wells Street

Does anyone know what's going on at Harrison & Wells? They had survey crews out today mapping the corner lot.
Reads the papers Reads the papers

Re: Surveying @ Harrison & Wells Street

A parking structure is going to be built.
brianbobcat brianbobcat

Re: Surveying @ Harrison & Wells Street

Are you talking about the lot north of River City?  The parking structure, that can't be the one the British developer is proposing as part of the post office redevelopment, right?  Any links to other info?
Jim in the Sloop Jim in the Sloop

Re: Surveying @ Harrison & Wells Street

Parking structure? As in a multi-level garage? The locals have successfully blocked surface level parking on various spots of the property for years, but this is the first I've heard of a garage. Do you have a link to more information?
anonymouse anonymouse

Re: Surveying @ Harrison & Wells Street

Nope, no parking structure. They're using the lot to film a movie.
brianbobcat brianbobcat

Re: Surveying @ Harrison & Wells Street

I don't think it's a movie.  For one thing, movies generally don't need surveyors.  Secondly, there's a temporary construction fence and a bulldozer there right now, again, not needed for filming.  I also can't imagine a parking structure.  There's still a large amount of surface parking around, and just can't see the financials being there to justify a parking garage.

On a related note, I found this on the web back from 2010 that shows the surrounding plots and where the fence is was not for sale back then.  http://ricklevinassociates.wordpress.com/2010/04/15/a-spectacular-development-opportunity-harrison-and-wells-street-chicago/  It appears that someone has had this property for a little while and apparently has had a plan for it.  Anyone tried contacting the Alderman?
anonymouse anonymouse

Re: Surveying @ Harrison & Wells Street

Nope, it's a movie location.

http://www.onlocationvacations.com/tag/catbird-filming-in-chicago/

"The highly anticipated movie Divergent is scheduled to begin filming in Chicago on Monday, April 1st and now we have some information about one of the film’s first filming locations.

As you can see in the notice above, there will be an informational meeting held on Monday for residents near 600 S Wells St in Chicago, a vacant property that will be used in the movie Catbird (Divergent’s working title). Though it doesn’t give an exact date for filming on the flyer, we expect shooting at this location will take place next week."

See also:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1840309/
http://reelchicago.com/article/hollywood-star-billy-zane-joining-cinespace-ep130204