TV/Internet options

Sam Sam

TV/Internet options

I've been trying for the last four and a half years since I moved in to Solo to get rid of Comcast but unfortunately RCN and ATT do not offer service by me.  I don't want to do Direct TV because I have a small enough balcony as it is without a huge satellite there as well.  Does anyone have any other options?  I'm seriously going crazy here.  For internet and TV with  no premium channels it's $184 a month!  I recently got a Roku but sports is the issue there so welcome any creative suggestions as well involving some other internet and Roku stuff.  Thanks!
Ardie Ardie

Re: TV/Internet options

So with you on this issue. Just moved here from LA last summer and astounded to find the total absence of legitimate hi-speed internet. On the surface there's the whole big-city vibe and all, but the digital side of Chicago is a bit like livin' out in Barstow or Temecula!

No Verizon FIOS or other actual high-bandwidth options - how are people functioning?? We live near Cullerton and Indiana, surrounded by major data center projects, yet as average citizens the bandwidth famine continues with no end in sight :-(

So the one option I could suggest as part of a cord-cutter's lifestyle would be Clear Wireless. http://www.clear.com/

I've been using it at home in the Sloop and around town - getting about 1.5mbps speeds, just enough to stream Netflix and VUDU, dom online gaming, YouTube, etc. in 720p. It's $50/month and you can do Skype over it - add Google Voice and you can almost eliminate phone service too and create your own "triple-play" and get one up on the gimmicks and fees from the cable company.

Back in Cali I always thought Chicago was all about community activism and such. We need some community activism geared to allow the Sloop to get out of the 20th century and get access to the digital age!!

- Ardie