The Asian Outpost - still an unknown gem

newsgal newsgal

The Asian Outpost - still an unknown gem

Hey fellow Sloopers,
I want to shine the spotlight on a relatively new gem in our neighborhood that, surprisingly so, still hasn't received the pick-up that it rightfully deserves. The Asian Outpost on S. Wabash between 13th and 14th street (next to Zapatista) opened nearly a year ago. You may have seen the quaint outside seating patio in front. Whenever my husband and I walk by, it seems as if every other patio - Flo & Santos, Scout, etc. - are packed with Sloopers. However, the Asian Outpost is relatively empty.

This is surprising. My husband and I have eaten at the Asian Outpost many times. The sushi is delicious - original rolls with fresh, melt-in-your-mouth fish. The entrees are superb as well - especially the salmon. The restaurant offers the best saki in the neighborhood if you are a saki-enthusiast AND, I promise you, it is child-friendly. The high chairs are probably the only non-sticky ones in the hood; there's plenty of space; and the owner brought our toddler free corn bread that captured his attention for the entire dinner.

Fellow Sloopers, this is a new restaurant that is trying to make it in our hood and if we are lucky, it will. The prices may be a bit higher (although not too much) than a whole pizza for fifteen dollars. But, the menu is worth it because there is something for everyone - from the non-carbers, protein loyalists to the vegetarians to the meat and rice, fried chicken kind of crowd. Give it shot and let me know if you agree!
Sloop resident Sloop resident

Re: The Asian Outpost - still an unknown gem

I second Newsgal's review.  A lot of great things on the menu but the fried chicken with honey ginger sauce is my favorite.  We have been there several times (even ordered delivery).  We have been happy everytime.
Pollydot Pollydot

Re: The Asian Outpost - still an unknown gem

Agreed! The fried chicken is awesome! And I crave the spicy nutty noodles constantly. We easily go to this place twice a month.
somnia somnia

Re: The Asian Outpost - still an unknown gem

I've eaten there once and everything we had was delicious.  I've been meaning to go back for some time.  Thanks for reminding me to do so!
nogs nogs

Re: The Asian Outpost - still an unknown gem

Agreed - the ginger fried chicken was excellent. The ramen bowl is delicious as well.
dtg312 dtg312

Re: The Asian Outpost - still an unknown gem

They have a Groupon special going, so it's worth trying out for those who are still unsure. I've only been there once, I thought overall it was decent and had a nice decor/atmosphere. The only issue I had is with the ramen (three of us had ordered each of the different flavors), the soup was lukewarm and to me, this made it much less appetizing than it could have been.
KalEl KalEl

Re: The Asian Outpost - still an unknown gem

Agreed, my wife and I have eaten there a few times. Great local restaurant. Please support.
joyful joyful

Re: The Asian Outpost - still an unknown gem

My husband and I have never been disappointed at the Outpost. The sushi is some of the best in the city! We both have our favorites….salmon with bok choy and Jasmine Rice bowl. The appetizers and cocktails are outstanding!
beaver beaver

Re: The Asian Outpost - still an unknown gem

I agree with all of the posts above.  We really have to try and highlight+support all of our great restaurants in the Sloop.  Maybe a bulletin board thread with all of the South Loop's Groupon-(like) deals would be popular?

Asian Outpost is a gem and has some of the the highest quality pan-Asian food in Chicago.  For Asian food, it is a bit high on the price spectrum, especially with Chinatown so close by.  But it's definitely worth the trip.  You will notice the difference and will not be disappointed.