Trattoria Caterina closed?

Anon Anon

Trattoria Caterina closed?

The last few times I've walked past Trattoria Caterina on Dearborn, it appears to be closed. There isn't a sign in the window with any information that they are closing, but the drapes are all pulled. Does anyone know if they closed down??
Anon Anon

Re: Trattoria Caterina closed?

Would that be a bad thing?
Joe Joe

Re: Trattoria Caterina closed?

Yes
Miss P. Row Miss P. Row

Re: Trattoria Caterina closed?

That place is God-awful… worst Italian food on the face of the plant.

So, so, so bad, my boyfriend and I refer to it as [the more appropriate moniker] 'Trattoria Diarrhea'
Anon Anon

Re: Trattoria Caterina closed?

I wouldn't be sad if they closed.  Food is awful.  I don't know how they stayed open as long as they did.  I'd love to see a good Italian restaurant in this space, just not Trattoria Caterina.
Dennis McClendon Dennis McClendon

Re: Trattoria Caterina closed?

Sign in the window says "on vacation," but usually a real vacation notice includes a reopening date.
Jim in the Sloop Jim in the Sloop

Re: Trattoria Caterina closed?

The sign has been up there for awhile. I agree that the food was about the worst Italian I've ever had. We live very close and gave it several tries before deciding the food was just inedible. Too bad, since a decent neighborhood Italian joint would do well in that location.
Anon Anon

Re: Trattoria Caterina closed?

Is this the place that is in an old rail car?
Jim in the Sloop Jim in the Sloop

Re: Trattoria Caterina closed?

Not the rail car. This is the place that's in the Transportation building on the 600 block of Dearborn, next to SRO.
eat me eat me

Re: Trattoria Caterina closed?

You're quite the authority!  Putting down the food at a restaurant that you don't even know where it is located.  Belly up to White Castle chef!
Anon Anon

Re: Trattoria Caterina closed?

@eat me- you realize that "Anon" means anonymous, right?  Anon is not one person.
Jim in the Sloop Jim in the Sloop

Re: Trattoria Caterina closed?

Interesting development. The liquor licence has been applied for under the name Sofi, LLC, and the principal is listed as Maurizio Michi who's behind Riccardo Trattoria/Riccardo Enoteca on North Clark:

http://riccardoenoteca.com/
TPOCT TPOCT

Re: Trattoria Caterina closed?

Nice Catch!  That's encouraging.
Sharonov Sharonov

Re: Trattoria Caterina closed?

Trattoria Caterina was........inconsistent.  A few of their dishes (bowtie pasta with asparagus, garlic & tomatoes) were very good, others were extremely greasy.  The red sauce, which defines a southern italian restaurant, was so-so.  Meatballs were about 75% filler.  They did just fine when there was no competition in the neighborhood, like 12-15 years ago.)  But I'm very glad that it will be replaced by another, hopefully superior, Italian restaurant (or at least a new chef.)
tpoct tpoct

Re: Trattoria Caterina closed?

So has anyone been to the new spot?  Any good?
AnonymousDrunk AnonymousDrunk

Re: Trattoria Caterina closed?

yes I have been there...