What was that Big Boom heard on 10/3/12 at10:40pm?

RP RP

What was that Big Boom heard on 10/3/12 at10:40pm?

Just curious what the very loud sound was just now. Also, saw a bright spark associated with the boom. It was so loud that car alarms near my building went off. All I saw from my balcony was some smoke coming from the alley right behind Acapella Restuarant by 13th st.

Anyone knows what's going on?
Brianbobcat Brianbobcat

Re: What was that Big Boom heard on 10/3/12 at10:40pm?

My friend lives down in the south loop,I think right off Michigan and 13th, and she texted at 10:52 saying that she too heard a large boom and now there's cops everywhere.

Another random note, I heard a loud boom up at Addison and Ashland at 10:08.  It wasn't large enough to set off car alarms, but still very loud. I'm not saying they have anything to do with each other, especially since I haven't seen or heard any cops yet, but still quite the coincidence at least.
wealthmaker wealthmaker

Re: What was that Big Boom heard on 10/3/12 at10:40pm?

we live on 13th and indiana and we heard it, too. i actually heard the windows shake/move from the shock wave and we live on the 10th floor.

the doorman said this is the second time this has happened in the past week. not sure what it was but it was loud and "big". it sounded more like a grenade...
KSM KSM

Re: What was that Big Boom heard on 10/3/12 at10:40pm?

I'm at 13th and Michigan and heard the same thing - it was insanely loud, sounded like a missile!  I called 311 and they had no information.  Checked the Tribune this morning and no news of it...so odd and kind of scary!
TonyG TonyG

Re: What was that Big Boom heard on 10/3/12 at10:40pm?

Based on what everyone is describing, sounds like an electrical transformer. They are usually in alleys - and when they blow they make an extremely loud "bang" and flash. Why no news/police report? These things blow throughout the city on a regular basis as they get old, etc. Not a big deal (unless you happen to be near one when they blow)!

Just another aspect of life in the big city...
A A

Re: What was that Big Boom heard on 10/3/12 at10:40pm?

we heard and saw it as well from michigan and roosevelt...
Frank Pizzo Frank Pizzo

Re: What was that Big Boom heard on 10/3/12 at10:40pm?

I am at 13th and prairie on 20th floor and face west. I heard and felt that boom.  It reminded me a lot like when I was a kid and idiots used to through half sticks of dynamite in corn fields. It was that loud and powerful. When I looked out a plume of smoke was coming from the alley on 13th between indiana and mich.  it took a good 15 minutes before any policeman showed up. Then another and another.  They were all very hesitant to enter the alley. So I have no idea what that was.  But my first thought was either transformer or half stick of dynamite.

Also, I have heard this sound at other times.  Probably 3 to 4 times in the past few months.  Hopefully not some idiot kids, that's all I hope.
FMS FMS

Re: What was that Big Boom heard on 10/3/12 at10:40pm?

Thought I heard something last night (technically the morning of 10/8) at about 1 AM.  Did anyone else hear that?  Scared the crap out of me.
Anon Anon

Re: What was that Big Boom heard on 10/3/12 at10:40pm?

Yes.  It was fireworks let off my some kids in the alley. It woke me up.  I took the dog out for a walk when I woke up.  When I got downstairs, the doorman asked if I heard it and said he caught the kids on video who did it.
Jim S. Jim S.

Re: What was that Big Boom heard on 10/3/12 at10:40pm?

Same type of Boom or explosion last night (Thursday Oct 11th) about 12:20 AM; sounded like around 15th and Michigan / Wabash.
lmc lmc

Re: What was that Big Boom heard on 10/3/12 at10:40pm?

last night at 16th and prairie also heard a loud enough boom that it made me jump out of my bed sometime after midnight (early morning of friday the 12th)
Lara P Lara P

Re: What was that Big Boom heard on 10/3/12 at10:40pm?

I heard it too. I asked the cops who came to check it out what was going on and they said some kids had lit a firework. They found "evidence" of the firework. It wasn't the first time that had happened and they hadn't yet figured out who it was.