When will Congress be finished?

Jim in the Sloop Jim in the Sloop

When will Congress be finished?

Anybody have any clue as to when they'll be finishing up work on Congress. I haven't seen any signs of activity for months now, yet the light posts in the median are still covered over and I belive we're still waiting for trellises??

On a side note - I suppose it's too late to ask that the remove the redundant extra turn lane from Westbound Congress onto Southbound Clark and replace the unfortunately removed island that allowed stranded pedestrians a safe haven mid-Congress. At the same time they could restore the sadly missed ability to to a legal U-Turn at that corner.
Dennis McClendon Dennis McClendon

Re: When will Congress be finished?

I don't think the lighting components will be turned on until Thanksgiving or thereabouts.  They're still working on the programming, and they want to have some sort of ceremonial event.

Thanksgiving is past and gone, and still no progress toward finishing Congress. The whole thing is pretty much a joke at this point.
Dennis McClendon Dennis McClendon

Re: When will Congress be finished?

Janet Attarian from CDOT says the trellises will be installed in February, probably, and the lighting turned on in "late spring."  Probably.
brianbobcat brianbobcat

Re: When will Congress be finished?

You're right, this project is a joke.  I walk along Congress multiple times a week to get to work, and there has been VERY little progress in the past 4 months.  Now that's not to say no work has been done.  A couple trestles have been installed along the north west section of Congress.  The LED columns have been unwrapped.  I believe all the raised granite planters have been installed.

Work still to be done: finish installing the trestles, turn on the LED pillars, finish waterproofing the raised planters, fill ALL the planters, plant misc. missing trees.

From the Chicago Tribune back on May 16th: "The Congress streetscape project is expected to conclude by June 30, about a month later than scheduled, Scales said. Temporary off-peak lane closures will occur on Congress this month to complete median planters and trellises and to finish installing crosswalk pavers at intersections along Congress between the bridge and Michigan Avenue, Scales said."  The again, this was the same article that said "Enhancements include wider sidewalks, bike lanes that require less weaving and bicycle parking."  Yah, there sure as heck aren't bike lanes along Congress.