Where have the mail boxes gone?

Jmurbanski Jmurbanski

Where have the mail boxes gone?

Recently my neighbors and I have noticed that our mailboxes have been removed in the Printers Row and Dearborn Park area. No notice, no reason given, no nothing! When an email was sent to Alderman Fioretti's office inquiring a persnickety staffer replied that it was a federal thing up to the USPS. The mailboxes at Dearborn& Plymouth; Dearborn in front of the Franklin building, 1115 S. plymouth have all been removed. They even removed the mailbox in front of the main post office on Harrison. What gives? Mr. Persnickety aldermanic staffer implied it was due to budget cuts. Are you kidding me??? The sit on the street with very little overhead because we the people walk to those boxes to drop I. Our mail. We want our mailboxes back! Can sloopin help????
cmc cmc

Re: Where have the mail boxes gone?

BUMP

I'd really like to see our mailboxes back too.
cmc cmc

Re: Where have the mail boxes gone?

I don't know how long they've been there, but I just noticed today that we have at least two of our mailboxes back - Polk & Plymouth and Dearborn & Harrison.

So very happy about that!
Winter is coming Winter is coming

Re: Where have the mail boxes gone?

I sympathize with your frustration, but it does seem likely to be a federal issue. You know, "destroying a mailbox" or "tampering with the mail' is a federal crime.

While mailboxes do allow you to put post in them, they also require someone to come along routinely and take the mail out.

If there are only a few people using them, perhaps they were removed because it no longer made sense to have them at those locations?
hello joe hello joe

Re: Where have the mail boxes gone?

From the horse's mouth, or to say the nice guy who runs the UPS store at Polk & Dearborn, the City took out three boxes, Polk & Plymouth Ct, 700 S Dearborn, and Dearborn & Harrison when there were protesters in town, and at the time it was anticipated that Polk & Dearborn was their parade route. Turned out not to be, I do not recall even which desent it was attributed to, but for sure the boxes did not return.
There are still boxes to west on Clark Street, and even one to the south on 1000 S Plymouth Ct., so I assume business and post office policy has not changed. We just lost our boxes. Funny how the City can take out all those unused newspaper boxes for the same event and return them, but not my mail box!!
Bella Bella

Re: Where have the mail boxes gone?

Good news -- two of them are back!  The boxes at Plymouth & Polk and Dearborn & Harrison are back where they belong; the box at 700 S. Dearborn is still MIA. But as the song says, two out of three ain't bad...