Why is A' Cappella Still Open?

123
Curious Chalf Curious Chalf

Why is A' Cappella Still Open?

How can it be that for two years a restaurant that's always empty, and has consistently awful reviews on Yelp stays open? In the neighborhood where I grew up, this was always a sign of trouble.
Pete Pete

Re: Why is A' Cappella Still Open?

I can't believe it either, the food is god awful, service is non existent, and there is nobody ever inside. I would be willing to bet my money this place is a "front" for some type of organized crime mafia or whatnot.
Quigley Quigley

Re: Why is A' Cappella Still Open?

My gut feeling is the owner, a Chicago Cop, is a "Chinatown" guy and is laundering money from a drug bust. Or maybe it's just a real bad restaurant
Treana29 Treana29

Re: Why is A' Cappella Still Open?

I have been scratching my head for years about this place.  First seeing the awning put up in the Spring of 2007 then nothing going on for a year or so, then suddenly seeing work being done on the inside.  After the work was completed down to tablecloths and place settings, it sat like that for 2-3 years before opening?!?! Once it did, as all have stated, there is NEVER anyone in there and I know, I live across the street from them and have a perfect view from my condo.  This place reminds me of Weather Mark Tavern when it opened, that place was always empty for years, yet some how stayed in business.  A'Cappella tho is an enigma to me and should have closed months after it opened! I've worked in the restaurant industry most my life and have never seen a restaurant be able to even open after sitting for years, let alone stay open with literally no business and horrible reviews.  Of course there is something shady going on...What, is anybodies guess!
southloopken southloopken

Re: Why is A' Cappella Still Open?

I've been there once and the whole thing is suspicious... It took years for them to open their doors and when they finally did...little to no business... Who has the money to keep the place open and partially decorated yet doesn't put any money into creating atmosphere and drawing in business...? There's no music or TV in the place, no liquor served, plasticware and cheep dishes, food prices are dirt cheap... The place makes me nervous.
Christopher Christopher

Re: Why is A' Cappella Still Open?

this place has become my personal mission to find out what's really going on.  a friend who used to live around the corner said the owner(s) of this shady restaurant always illegally parked their car on 13th street and had a makeshift 'For Police Duty' sign on their windshield...  the car was there as recent as yesterday.
also, if you ever go into Panozzo's deli next door they very irritably will tell you they have no idea about anything at A Capella Bistro.  I would personally love to see this place shut down after a serious expose on what it really is.  Glad I'm not the only one in the S Loop who is watching this place!  Thanks for posting!
Jim in the Sloop Jim in the Sloop

Re: Why is A' Cappella Still Open?

Google their phone number. It's the same phone number as Chicago Lock Box over on Wabash, so there's some relationship with them.
James Bond James Bond

Re: Why is A' Cappella Still Open?

Wow! I googled their dining room phone# and found the listing for, of all places, "VIP Secutiry & Surveillance" at, of all addresses, 1333 S Wabash. The plot thickens .... I wonder if these posts are being surveilled.
James Bond James Bond

Re: Why is A' Cappella Still Open?

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Manta.com reports VIP Security & Surveillance as "a private company categorized under Escort Service-Personal" . XVJSR
Christopher Christopher

Re: Why is A' Cappella Still Open?

thank you, James Bond! this news is most interesting...  I want to email the local news channels and have them dig into this place!  anyone have any connections at the local tv stations?
A A

Re: Why is A' Cappella Still Open?

my family and i ate here in the spring and what a disaster! we were the only ones in there, yet our server was nonexistent during our visit. we all ordered basic eggs and bacon and it took a painfully long time to get our food. we will never go back.
JC JC

Re: Why is A' Cappella Still Open?

Who is this guy? What's his racket? Somebody must know something...
anon anon

Re: Why is A' Cappella Still Open?

SouthLooper SouthLooper

Re: Why is A' Cappella Still Open?

This story is getting better everyday!!!! Fellow residents, let's put our heads together and really find out what is going on at this place!
Jim in the Sloop Jim in the Sloop

Re: Why is A' Cappella Still Open?

Given the almost total lack of paying customers it seems clear that this place exists for some reason other than to make money.
Just Curious Just Curious

Re: Why is A' Cappella Still Open?

Below is public info from the Illinois Secretary of State's Website on the members of the LLC:

Entity Name A CAPPELLA BISTRO LLC File Number 02687461
Name Address
BRILL, JAMES E 1303 1/2 S. MICHIGAN AVE., CHICAGO, IL - 60605
HENRY, BARBARA J 4508 W. 65TH STREET, CHICAGO, IL - 60629

Milton Milton

Re: Why is A' Cappella Still Open?

I heard Brill was retired CPD. If so, and if this is about him, we may have some insight as to who this guy is.

http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/illinois/ilndce/1:2007cv06928/215204/136

SouthLooper SouthLooper

Re: Why is A' Cappella Still Open?

Good find Milton. If this is really the owner (Officer Brill), what is really going on at this place? Even if it is something shady, it will be difficult to uncover further details with the back of CPD.
Jake Epping Jake Epping

Re: Why is A' Cappella Still Open?

Well, South Looper, City of Chicago public records says ACappella Bistro is an LLC whose business license expires this year: 10/15/2012 to be exact.
Christopher Christopher

Re: Why is A' Cappella Still Open?

omg I can't wait to see what happens on Oct 16 when this "restaurant" is forced to close.  I'm sure nothing will happen and they will renew their license at the last possible second.
123